Everyone loves a happy dog. Wanting to give your dog treats from your plate can be tempting, particularly when he is giving you those sad puppy dog eyes that say, “please, please, please! ” However, it can be quite damaging to your pet’s health to nourish them with certain foods. What’s great for you, isn’t always great for your dog. Listed below are six foods you shouldn’t feed your dog.
Garlic comprises of a chemical compound that may directly damage your dog’s red blood cells. If they eat too much garlic, then it can make them very sick and cause anemia. In worst-case scenarios, if your dog ingests large amounts of garlic in any form (raw, cooked, or powdered), then he will have to go to the animal hospital for a blood transfusion.
Everybody knows that dogs shouldn’t eat chocolate. Chocolate, especially dark chocolate or coconut chocolate, can cause dogs to have seizures, heart palpitations, and excessive thirst. If your dog ingests a small amount, he will probably be fine. If eaten in large amounts, however, chocolate can lead to death in younger dogs.
Dogs love meat. It is a fact. But, ham and other fatty acids can lead to pancreatitis, which can be fatal in dogs. Any food that’s high in animal fat is quite damaging to your dog’s health. Most meats, particularly lunch meat that’s highly processed, contain very high amounts of sodium. Excessive salt can also be bad for your pet and causes sodium ion flaking.
Dogs love ice cream, and we love to give it to them. What we do not understand, is that our furry companions lack the enzyme that helps them break down milk sugars. Ice cream, milk, and other dairy products really can hurt our dogs. Most dogs have some kind of lactose intolerance or milk allergy. So keep your pups away from milk.
It might appear strange, but some dogs love coffee and soda. This is extremely dangerous for the pet to consume. Caffeine affects people by increasing the heart rate and causing restlessness. When ingested by a dog, it may cause the same reaction, only in a much bigger body. If you let your dog consume your Frappuccino, it can give him a heart murmur, muscle tremors, or even seizures.
These nuts are poisonous to your pet. If ingested, it may hurt their skeletal, muscular, and digestive systems. Dogs may get fevers, muscle tremors, paralysis, and excruciating pain from ingesting even a small amount of these nuts. Keep them away from your pet just to be on the safe side.