Hearing Aids Medical Coverage

There is no doubt that hearing aids are pricey. If you are beginning to search for a hearing aid, you may find yourself with sticker-shock. If you have Medicare,...
Picture shows how small modern hearing aids can be, even though I got these free.

There is no doubt that hearing aids are pricey. If you are beginning to search for a hearing aid, you may find yourself with sticker-shock. If you have Medicare, you may be wondering if government assistance will cover your hearing aids. Here’s a review of what Medicare covers and how to find affordable hearing aids.

Original Medicare

 Original Medicare and many medicare supplement plans don’t cover hearing aids, routine hearing examinations, or fittings. This simple fact means that you are going to need to pay 100% of the cost of your hearing aids. However, there’s a way which you can find a little help using Medicare part B.

Medicare Part B covers diagnostic hearing tests if your doctor orders it for a medical reason. You and your physician should have a medical reason for the hearing loss, such as injury or illness. If you can get a medical reason for a diagnostic hearing evaluations, Medicare Part B will cover 80% of the amount approved by Medicare. You will be responsible for the remaining 20%.

Medicare Part C

Some Medicare plans cover hearing exams and hearing aids. Medicare Advantage, or Medicare Part C, does cover hearing aids and examinations. It is important to study which Medicare Advantage plan you are purchasing as they’re extremely distinct from one another. Medicare Part C is supplied by private companies that might also have additional benefits available to cover hearing aids if the Part C doesn’t cover the device. Research each company before picking one to make sure you choose one that covers your needs.

Other Alternatives

If you can’t buy a plan which includes hearing aids, there are other options. Many online websites are devoted to providing affordable hearing aids for folks that need them. Advanced Affordable Hearing is one such site. Some models on the website begin as low as $199 per ear. The purchase price would depend on the sort of hearing aid you want to purchase and your degree of hearing loss.

Another option would be to finance your hearing aid. Audicus provides hearing aids for as low price for every ear. If you can’t afford to pay this cost, you can begin a payment plan. Payment plans at Audicus beginning at $36 per month and interest rates vary from 10-30%. Keep in mind that the rate of interest is based on your credit rating.

Categories
Insurance